The Rose Cross Ritual
Original Golden Dawn version of the basic ritual.
1. Light a stick of incense. Go to the South East corner of the room. Make a large cross and circle.
Holding the point of the incense in the center vibrate the word Yeheshuah.
2. With arm outstretched on a level with the centre of the cross, and holding the incense stick, go to the South West corner and make a similar cross, repeating the Word.
3. Go to the North West corner and repeat the cross and the Word.
4. Go to the North East corner and repeat the cross and the Word.
5. Complete your circle by returning to the South East corner and bringing the point of the incense to the central point of the first cross which you should imagine astrally there.
6. Holding the stick on high, go to the centre of the room, walking diagonally across the room towards the North West corner. In the centre of the room, above your head, trace the cross and circle and vibrate the Name.
7. Holding the stick on high, go to the North West and bring the point of the stick down to the centre of the astral cross there.
8. Turn towards the South East and retrace your steps there, but now, holding the incense stick directed across the floor. In the centre of the room, make the cross and circle towards the floor, as it were, under your feet, and vibrate the Name.
9. Complete this circle by returning to the South East and bringing the point of the stick again to the centre of the Cross, then move with arm outstretched to S.W. corner.
10. From the centre of this cross, and, raising stick before, walk diagonally across the room towards the North East corner. In the centre of the room, pick up again the cross above your head previously made, vibrating the Name. It is not necessary to make another cross.
11. Bring the stick to the centre of the North East cross and return to the South West, incense stick down, and pausing in the centre of the room to link up with the cross under your feet.
12. Return to the South West and rest the point of the incense a moment in the centre of the cross there. Holding the stick out, retrace your circle to the North West, link on to the N.W. Cross — proceed to the N.E. cross and complete your circle by returning to the S.E., and the centre of the first cross.
13. Retrace the cross, but larger, and make a big circle, vibrating for the lower half Yeheshuah, and for the upper half Yehovashah.
14. Return to the centre of the room, and visualise the six crosses in a net-work around you. This ceremony can be concluded by the analysis of the Key-Word given as follows:
1. Stand with arms outstretched in the form of a cross. Face East.
2. Vibrate these words:
I. N. R. I.
The sign of Osiris Slain.
3. Right arm up, left arm extended out from shoulder, head bowed toward left hand.
L. — The Sign of the Mourning of Isis.
4. Both arms up in a V shape.
V. — The Sign of Typhon and Apophis.
5. Arms crossed on breast, head bowed.
X. — The Sign of Osiris Risen.
6. Make the signs again as you repeat L.V.X.
7. Arms folded on breast, head bowed.
The Light of the Cross.
8. Then arms extended in the Sign of Osiris Slain (see 1).
Virgo – Isis – Mighty Mother
Scorpio – Apophis – Destroyer
Sol – Osiris – Slain and Risen
9. Gradually raise arms.
Isis – Apophis – Osiris
10. Arms above head, face raised.
I. A. O.
11. Except when in the Vault, now vibrate the four Tablet of Union Names to equilibriate the Light.
Exarp – Hcoma – Nanta – Biton
12. Aspire to the Light and draw it down over your head to your feet.
Let the Divine Light Descend.
THE USE OF THE ROSE CROSS RITUAL
1. It encloses the aura with a protection against outside influences. It is like a veil. The Pentagrams protect, but they also light up the astral and make entities aware of you. They are more positive for magical working. When much distracted, use the Pentagrams to banish and the Rose-cross to maintain peace.
2. It is a call to another mode of your consciousness and withdraws you from the physical. It is a good preparation for meditation and, combined with the Key-Word, a form of invocation of the Higher Wisdom which is helpful when solving problems or preparing for a difficult interview, or in order to be calm and strong to help another.
3. When you are quite familiar with the Ritual, but most certainly not before, it can be done in imagination while resting or lying down. Part of yourself goes out, and you get all the sensation of walking around your own quiescent body. Used thus, with rhythmic breathing, it will withdraw your mind from pain (if it be not too severe) and release you for sleep. You can do the analysis of the Key-Word standing behind your physical head, and you can call down the Divine White Brilliance, watching it flow over your body and smooth out the tangles in the etheric double, bringing peace and rest.
4. You can do the Ritual with intention to help others in pain or difficulty. For this purpose, you build up an astral image of the person, in the centre of the room, and call down the Light upon him, after surrounding him with the six crosses. When the ceremony is done, command the astral shape you have made to return to the person, bearing with it the peace of Yeheshuah.
5. It is a protection against psychic invasion from the thoughts of others or from disturbed psychic conditions, such as there might be in a place charged with fear, where terrible things had happened.